Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday, Sept 13

I read the Thinking Strategies for Student Improvement book we received last year and found some good ideas that should work well in a math class. I would like to try them. I visited Teacher B's and Teacher RT's classroom.

I think the next step is for me to help plan and teach an entire chapter. The best candidate is Teacher J because she has Adv Alg Per 3 and then Prep during per 4. We can plan together and I can help her during period 3. Teacher S is the other possibility but I don't want to jump in with a Cog Tutor class because of the added complications of texts and computer work I am not familiar with. I think it's better if I start my "coaching" with a class with a regular book. After working with Teacher J, and blogging about it, I'll move to one of the basic classes.

I spoke with Teacher R about this strategy and she thinks it is a good idea. She is using the same model with the English Department. I will meet with her again tomorrow because she has some examples of using Thinking Maps to completely work through a science problem.

No comments: