Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tuesday, Dec 11

In calculus class today I used the basic NUA strategy of movement because it was 15 minutes before the end of the school day and the 6th hour students were falling asleep. We were working on volumes of revolution. I asked the students to stand up and put their left hands in the air to represent the revolution axis. I really didn't know what to do next, so I asked them to use their right hand to create a slice perpendicular to the revolution axis. They automatically put their right arms out perpendicular to their bodies and rotatated around creating nice examples of the washer/disk method. Next, they put their right arms up and spun around to make examples of the shell method. After the example they quieted down quickly and the last 10 minutes were, I think, more productive then they would have been without the stretch.

No comments: