Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tues, Oct 2

Teacher J and I finished AA sections 2.1 and 2.2 using circle, tree and flow maps. If we were to do it again, I think we would stick with the tree map and flow map but not the circle map for problems involving direct and inverse variation. We were both very surprised at how many students found it very difficult to construct a tree map from the important information from a problem. I would definitely ask students to construct tree maps again because it puts them in the position of having to group and label before doing the algebra. If they cannot organize the information they will not be successful with the problem.

Time was an issue because fully asking students to create their own flow map, post them, and discuss them as a class would have taken 2 or 3 days longer than we wanted.

My conclusion is that there is a place for thinking maps in ch 2, but I would do less maps and spend a little time with the one I chose. They were a good way to organize a constructivist approach, but I don't think we wanted quite so much of a constructivist approach for lessons 2.1 and 2.2.

Teacher J had a great idea about using dubble bubbles for comparing and contrasting the graphs of y=kx, y=k/x, y=kx^2 and y=k/x^2. We will use these at the end of Ch 2.

No comments: